— Battlelog description
The .44 Magnum is a large-caliber revolver that is featured in Battlefield 3. It features high power, high accuracy, and recoil, with a lower rate of fire, and sharp and easy to use iron sights . It has a 6-round capacity and reloads with a speed-loader.
The .44 Magnum is used by Solomon in the singleplayer campaign, as he is seen using it in Semper Fidelis, Uprising, and The Great Destroyer. The player, however, has no interaction with the gun in the campaign.
The .44 Magnum is unlocked upon reaching level 36 in multiplayer, while an alternate version, the .44 SCOPED, has a mounted 3.4x magnification PK-A that is unlocked once reaching level 44. The .44 Magnum is an incredibly powerful sidearm, requiring only two shots to the torso or one shot to the head up to about 20 meters to kill. At ranges of 50 meters, it will require about four shots or fewer. The scoped version can be useful for players who wish to still have a mid-range weapon when equipping a shotgun or PDW that is better suited for close range. The Magnum may also be useful to some players for the ability to destroy explosives.
Versus the MP-412 REX, the .44 Magnum has a higher damage, recoil, bullet velocity, longer one- or two-shot kill range, and hipfire accuracy but the MP412 has a faster reload time by almost half a second, less recoil, and a faster fire rate that makes it edge out over the .44 Magnum at close range for taking down opponents quicker. However, the .44 Magnum's increased bullet velocity allows it to take down targets faster at mid to long range. The .44 Magnum performs better than all of the semi-automatic pistols in close to mid range in dispatching threats, and no longer suffers from its original low fire rate at ranges past 50 meters.
In the 1.04 Patch, the .44 now has an increased rate of fire. A similar change has also been applied to the M1911. The patch also gave the gun a new firing sound and its damage was slightly buffed, especially at longer ranges.
The .44 Magnum has a suppressor variant with a Laser Sight only available to DICE employees for use in kits, however picking up a dead employee's kit will allow the use of the suppressed .44 Magnum with its laser. This weapon was first spotted on a few frames of the Donya Fortress trailer.
- The Battlelog description of the .44 Magnum's states that the .44 Magnum is the "most powerful handgun in the world", and that a single round can "blow your head clean off." This is a direct reference to Dirty Harry Callahan's line in his titular film.
- Additionally, the True Handgun Master Dogtag features Dirty Harry Callahan holding two .44 Magnum pistols and the words "Make My Day". This is another reference to the film.
- The .44 Magnum is the only sidearm that can use a scope, instead of the normal iron sights.
- Before the beta of Battlefield 3, it was named "T44"—abbreviating the gun's real name.
- On Battlefield 3 after 1.07 update, while using the US Support kit, players could choose a glitched model of the .44 Magnum: that had the same stats as the normal one, but it was equipped with an invisible laser sight that increases hipfire accuracy. This has been patched since the End Game update.