— Battlefield 4 tagline
Battlefield 4 is the next and upcoming installment of the Battlefield series and the sequel to Battlefield 3 which is being developed for next-gen consoles (but being scaled down to be compatible with current gen consoles). It is also the thirteenth iteration in the franchise. The game was announced by Frank Gibeau, CEO of Electronic Arts. Battlefield 4 was revealed accidentally as a pre-order listing discovered on the Origin Client. By going to the shooter genre one will see a banner entitling Medal of Honor: Warfighter, with an exclusive pre-order offer for the Battlefield 4 beta as seen here. EA later confirmed this and that the beta for Battlefield 4 will take place in Fall 2013.
Currently, the only ways to get into the beta is to pre-order Medal of Honor: Warfighter, pre-order Battlefield 4 Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin.com, and by being a Battlefield 3 Premium Member. DICE has stated that there may be other ways in the future in addition to these methods.
The story, according to the Battlefield website, follows American VIPs' evacuation from Shanghai and an American squad struggling to make their way back home; however, still no information has been revealed about what branch of the United States military they are from, however MARPAT (MARine PATtern) camouflage can be seen on the characters throughout the trailer, as well an UH-1Y Venom leading one to assume they are US Marines. In the 17-minute gameplay trailer released on March 26, 2013, the player is seen engaging Russian special operators, confirming Russia returning. In addition, China is also confirmed as another faction as, at the trailer's end, an unidentified caller can be heard going toward the east coast of China.
The trailer reveal showcased a campaign mission called "Fishing in Baku," Baku being the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan, which lies on the Caspian Sea's coast.
Among the confirmed weapons in Battlefield 4 is an M249 variant that a male soldier is carrying and the M16 which is seen in parts of some trailers. The latter is seen with a M145 scope and a secondary iron sight on the side of the weapon. The Heckler and Koch 416 (unknown variant) is confirmed in the game; it is seen in the trailer with a ACOG, and a silencer. The Serbu Super Shorty was also seen with a Red Dot Sight and a Foregrip in the trailer. A MP412 REX was seen at the start of the trailer to shoot out a car window. An M320 Portable Grenade Launcher is also seen while fighting an Mi-28, and the Milkor MGL is also seen taking out several enemy infantry. The AEK-971 is seen being used by enemy soldiers. The US red dot sight can also be seen on Pat's M4A1 . A PSO 4x scope can also be seen on a AEK.
Recently there were three vehicles showcased on the Battlefield website for Battlefield 4, including new evidence through trailers.
- The Russian Mi-28 attack helicopter
- The Russian VDV Buggy
- The American UH-1Y Venom utility helicopter
- The RHIB boat
In promotional art
- The Chinese Type 98 MBT
- The Chinese J-20 Jet
- The Chinese WZ-10 Helicopter
- The American LAV
- The American M1 Abrams (unknown variant)
- The American AMTRAC
- Battlefield 4 has been confirmed to be set in 2020, but will have a modern day atmosphere. The current confirmed factions are Russia, China, and the US. It is also to be set in and around China, as well as other parts in Asia.
- The pictures in the title image show Shanghai and a Chinese J-20 fighter jet.
- On March 18, 2013, a seven second teaser was posted, depicting Type 98 tank treads beginning to move, as well as a date (March 27, 2013), which is now confirmed on the website to be when another part of Battlefield 4 is revealed. This is only available to logged-in Origin users, however.
- On March 21, 2013, a fifteen second teaser was posted, depicting some kind of ship propellers. Also an image featuring a burning aircraft carrier was revealed in the Battlefield 4 Official Site.
- Battlefield 4 is being developed for the next-gen consoles, and is being scaled down to be compatible for the current generation consoles.
- The key art was leaked in a supposed Battlefield 4 trailer before it was officially released.
- Battlefield 4 is the first game in the series to include gore, as evidenced by the player using his combat knife, through a quick-time event, to cut off an NPC's leg in the gameplay trailer to save him from an exploding UH-1Y Venom.
- This is probably a non-optional choice as the downed helicopter explodes right after the player finishes cutting the limb off.
- The female soldier, Hanna, was seen at the end of the 17 minute gameplay trailer released on March 27, 2013, alongside what appeared to be an American soldier in the background.
- In the description, it mentions new intense, water based vehicle combat. Attendees of the March 26th screening events have mentioned jetskis and naval craft being included.
- The Russian Spec Ops soldiers in the 17 minute gameplay trailer appear to based on the Russian Army multiplayer characters from Battlefield 3. This may simply be a placeholder for future character models.
- It has been confirmed that Battlefield 3 Premium members will have access to the Battlefield 4 beta later in 2013.
On March 24, 2013 DICE leaked a song in Battlefield 4 titled "Hanna's Theme" composed by Johan Skugge & Jukka Rintamaki, both of which had worked on Battlefield 3′s soundtrack.