Battlefield 4 is the next and upcoming installment of the Battlefield series and the sequel to Battlefield 3 which is being developed for next-gen consoles (but being scaled down to be compatible with current gen consoles). It is also the thirteenth iteration in the franchise. The game was announced by Frank Gibeau, CEO of Electronic Arts. Battlefield 4 was revealed accidentally as a pre-order listing discovered on the Origin Client. By going to the shooter genre one will see a banner entitling Medal of Honor: Warfighter, with an exclusive pre-order offer for the Battlefield 4 beta as seen here. EA later confirmed this and that the beta for Battlefield 4 will take place in Fall 2013. Currently, the only ways to get into the beta is to pre-order Medal of Honor: Warfighter, pre-order Battlefield 4 Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin.com, and by being a Battlefield 3: Premium Member. DICE has stated that there may be other ways in the future in addition to these methods.
Little is known about the plot of the game, only that includes China and the US (The only confirmed factions as of now). A description talks about a rescue mission involving Americans from Shanghai. The key art released on Battlefield.com shows a male soldier with a US flag patch, running while holding two weapons, with longer than normal hair for a soldier. This could possibly suggest that he is in a Special Forces group.
A reveal on March 26, 2013 showcased a campaign mission called 'Fishing in Baku' shows that the game will be featured in Azerbaijan.
As of yet, there only seems to be two weapons confirmed to be in Battlefield 4, the MK.46 SAW, or some other M249 variant that the male soldier is carrying and the M16A3 (or A4 variant). It is seen with a M145 scope and a secondary iron sight on the side of the weapon, hinting that it may be a new attachment. Along with the soldier in the key art, which is carrying a sniper rifle, along with a handgun. The 870MCS was also seen with a Holographic Sight and a Foregrip in the trailer to shoot down a fence. A MP412 Rex was seen at the start of the trailer to shoot out a car window. An M230 Portable grenade launcher is also seen when taking out the Mi-28, the Mikor MGL is also seen.
Recently there were three vehicles showcased on the Battlefield website for Battlefield 4, including new evidence through trailers.
- The Mi-28 attack helicopter
- The Russian VDV Buggy
- The Chinese Type 98 MBT
- The Chinese J-20 Jet
- The Chinese WZ-10 Helicopter
- The American LAV
- The American M1 Abrams(unknown variant)
- The American AMTRAC
- The American UH-1Y Venom utility helicopter
- Battlefield 4 has been confirmed to be set in 2020, but it will still have a modern day atmosphere. The current confirmed factions are the Russians, the Chinese and the US. It is also to be set in and around China.
- The pictures in the tile image show Shanghai and a Chinese J-20 fighter jet.
- On March 18, 2013, a seven second teaser was posted, depicting Type 98 tank treads beginning to move, as well as a date (March 27, 2013), which is now confirmed on the website to be when another part of Battlefield 4 is revealed. This is only available to logged-in Origin users, however.
- On March 21, 2013, a fifteen second teaser was posted, depicting some kind of ship propellers. Also an image featuring a burning aircraft carrier was revealed in the Battlefield 4 Official Site.
- Battlefield 4 is being developed for the next-gen consoles, and is being scaled down to be compatible for the current generation consoles.
- The key art was leaked in a supposed Battlefield 4 trailer, before it was released.
- Battlefield 4 is the first game in the series to include gore, as evidenced by the player using his combat knife, through a quick-time event, to cut off an NPC's foot in the gameplay trailer. This leads one to believe that BF4 will hold a much darker and grittier tone than BF3 and all the previous games.
On March 24, 2013 DICE leaked a song in Battlefield 4 titled "Hannah's Song" composed by Johan Skugge & Jukka Rintamaki, both of which had worked on Battlefield 3′s soundtrack.