|This article is a stub. It is short and in need of expansion. Why not help out?|
Con Thien (Tiếng Việt: Cồn Tiên, meaning the "Hill of Angels"), was a United States Marine Corps combat base located near the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone about 3 km from North Vietnam. It was the site of fierce fighting from February 1967 through February 1968.
8 May, at 03:00 some 300 rounds of mortar and artillery fire hit the base, while NVA sappers with Bangalore torpedoes breached the perimeter wire. At 04:00 two battalions of the 812th NVA Regiment armed with flamethrowers attempted to overrun the base. At the time of the attack the base was defended by the command element and Companies A and D of 1/4 Marines and a CIDG unit. The attack fell primarily on Company D. A relief column from Company A was sent with an M42 Duster, 2 LVT-5s and 2 1/4 ton trucks. The M42 was hit by an RPG-7 and an LVT-5 and one truck were destroyed by satchel charges. By 09:00 the NVA had withdrawn leaving 197 KIA and 8 prisoners. The Marines had suffered 44 KIA and 110 wounded.
It is a map known as the Defense of Con Thien featured in Battlefield Vietnam.
- Con Thien South: Spawns 1 OH-6 LOACH, 1 AH-1G Cobra, 1 M113 APC, 1 M151 MUTT, and 1 unarmed MUTT or 2 UAZ-469s and 1 BTR-60
- Con Thien East: Spawns 1 M151 and 1 M110A2 howitzer.
- Con Thien West: Spawns 1 M151 and 1 M110A2.
- Eastern DMZ Outpost: Spawns 1 UAZ-469 and 1 M46 field gun.
- Western DMZ Outpost: Spawns 1 UAZ-469.
- Ancient Ruins: Spawns nothing.
- North Vietnamese Base: Spawns 2 multiple vehicle spawns (UAZ-469s or unarmed M151s), 1 BTR-60, 1 Mi-8 Assault, and 1 Ka-25 Hormone.