Battlefield 2The MG36 appears in Battlefield 2 as the tier 2 unlock for the Support kit. It is also the Default weapon for the Special Air Service in the Special Forces expansion. The weapon in the game is the standard MG36, but with a G36C-style Picatinny rail instead of the scoped carrying handle. The MG36 has about the same damage and accuracy stats as the M249 SAW, but with less recoil and with more user-friendly sights. However, the sight is more appropriate for urban environments while the M249 SAW's iron sight is more appropriate for more open environments. The weapon, like the other G36 variants, have the same firing noise, as well as the same reload sounds.
Battlefield: Bad Company
— In game description.
In multiplayer, the MG36 is issued to the Medic Kit as an unlockable. It has a built-in sight that has a small red dot which allows more precise aiming, but also limits the user's view as there is no peripheral vision with this scope. It has 150 round drum magazine and 300 rounds in reserve. It has stats similar to that of the XM8 LMG, but it is significantly more accurate, and is the most accurate Medic Kit weapon. It deals moderate damage and has a fairly high rate of fire.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
— In-game description
Only available in multiplayer, the MG36 is the 6th light machine gun issued to the Medic Kit, requiring 42000 experience points to unlock.
It makes a great LMG for the Medic kit in multiplayer, as it has a built in Reflex Sight, thus freeing up a Specialization slot. Because of this, many players use this opportunity to use a different specialization. Like in Battlefield: Bad Company, the MG36 has similar stats to that of the XM8 LMG. The 4X Rifle Scope will increase the sight's zoom. The built-in reflex sight provides no peripheral vision, and it takes time to zoom, just like a sniper scope. It is recommended to fire in 2-3 round bursts while aiming down the sight, as continued automatic fire will slowly raise the weapon, taking the sight's reticule off target. By doing this, the player can more easily take down a target from almost any range.
Battlefield Play4FreeIn Battlefield Play4Free, the MG36 is a purchasable Elite light machine gun for the Medic Kit. It is a stable long range weapon with a 60-round Beta-C magazine and medium damage, but it also has more recoil than other LMG's, meaning that it will need to be fired in bursts to be more accurate down range.
Its drum magazine allows for much quicker reloading in the field, allowing users to be back in the fight sooner, rather than be plagued with a long reload time such as in the other belt-fed light machine guns. The weapon also features a clean appearance and black paint scheme on its parts, like many other LMGs after December 1st update.
— Battlelog description
The MG36 performs in the same fashion as the M27 IAR and RPK-74 being a magazine fed LMG with the difference that the standard magazine uses 50+1 rounds. The weapon is able to fire in fully automatic, semi-automatic, and burst fire modes; with the Foregrip attached it maintains good accuracy at a distance, even during sustained fire, making it a very versatile weapon for both defensive and offensive Support activity.
The extended magazine attachment was removed on accident in the March 2012 patch, but has returned with the September 2012 patch.
- In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the MG36's default reflex sight was void of its red dot on Hardcore mode, even with the Red Dot Sight or 4X Rifle Scope equipped. This was fixed as of the PS3/Xbox 360 1.04 Patch. After the patch, the MG36 also has a hip-fire aiming reticule (like all weapons in core mode), in Hardcore mode. On the PC, this has been patched in the 795745 patch.
- In Batttlefield Bad Company 2 the MG36's hud icon shows it with the bipod folded however, in game it is extended.
- In Battlefield: Bad Company and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the MG36's reload animation is nearly identical to that of the XM8 LMG.
- As of the most recent update for Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the MG36 now has the same exact damage stats as the XM8 LMG. Because of this, the MG36 is considered more advantageous to some than its counterpart due to the default reflex sight potentially freeing up a specialization slot, despite sacrificing peripheral vision.
- Oddly, despite built on the same base mechanism as the G36C, the MG36's burst fire fires 3 rounds and not 2.
- The MG36 master dog tag in Battlefield 3 shows the version with the built in reflex sight, featured in Battlefield: Bad Company and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.