The Parabellum MG14 was a 7.9 mm caliber World War I machine gun built by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken. It was a redesign of the MG 08 (itself an adaptation of the Maxim MG) system intended for use on aircraft and zeppelins. The Parabellum MG14/17 is a follow up to the MG14 with a thinner air jacket, redesigned controls and added mounting rail for telescopic sights.
— In-game description
Parabellum MG14/17 is characterised by a second highest fire rate in support class(after Burton LMR). Coupled with 100 bullets in a magazine, it makes this a very effective weapon for fighting groups. However, this weapon has very high horizontal recoil, which makes it unsuited to fighting at longer ranges outside of a bipod.
As the weapon uses non-disintegrating links, the reload of the weapon changes depending on how many rounds the player had fired. There are five different reload animations:
- 100 - 76 ammo remaining: The player character removes the reel and pulls out the belt along with it, loads in a new reel, and cocks the weapon. (6.0s)
- 75 - 51 ammo remaining: The player character spins the reel once to retract the belt, before removing and replacing it with a new reel and cocking the weapon. (6.4s)
- 50 - 26 ammo remaining: The player character spins the reel twice to retract the belt, before removing and replacing it with a new reel and cocking the weapon. (6.85s)
- 25 - 1 ammo remaining: The player character spins the reel thrice to retract the belt, before removing and replacing it with a new reel and cocking the weapon. (7.3s)
- 0 ammo remaining: The player character pulls off the spent belt from the receiver, replaces the empty reel with a new reel, and cocks the weapon. (6.9s)
The MG14/17 is capable of firing 35 shots before overheating.
There are two variants of the Parabellum MG14/17: Low Weight and Suppressive.
The Parabellum MG14/17 Low Weight is the standard variant of the weapon, featuring a bipod attachment. As with other basic Light Machine Guns, it will gain improved accuracy the longer it is fired without stopping.
The Parabellum MG14/17 Suppressive features a bipod, and an optic as its default sight, allowing superior long-range accuracy when set-up. Unlike other Suppressive variants, the MG14/17 doesn't feature an increased magazine size and therefore is a statistical downgrade to the Low Weight variant.
- The unlock assignment for the Low Weight variant originally called for the player to destroy two air vehicles specifically using the Madsen MG Trench variant. This was changed from that to destroying two air vehicles using any LMG due to overwhelming feedback criticizing the difficulty of the original requirement.
- The plane variant (before being introduced as DLC), for the backseat gunner on some planes does not show the fabric belt feeding through the left side port of the gun after being fired and simply disappearing from sight. The same thing can be seen with the Maxim gun.